Tuesday, April 18, 2006

First Official Entry

Cyberspace... the final frontier....

Okay enough of that... As some may know I have been posting very5 long comments on Ichi's blog as a means of venting... sometimes the comments have absolutely nothing to do with the main post. Hahahaha!

Of course as many can see I am really crap at this... a blog with no pics.. A friend put in pics of young girls to attract the crowds and make money. My sister writes about making money on the web.. me.. I have no idea where this will go.

Dear if you are reading this.. don't link this page to yours.. same goes to Ichi.. same reason you keep your blog private from the parental units.. It's a place to vent out.

So today I will tell a story of what happened to me at work.

Yesterday I posted on Ichi how I was not given any orders to do anything so I poked my nose in everything. Well today I still poked my nose around but I got very litle done..WHY???

Well for starters I have no real authority...

I am told that I will be the Asset Owner, but no authority has been given yet.. many technical reasons behind this. Any way, because of this people are not obliged to follow. Yesterday I joined a meeting discussing about the plant shutdown. I observed that there was something lacking in the planning.. ie.. thought..

I told the guys that the plan to have people work from 7 to 7 for 16 days is wrong and illegal. I thought that they listened but I was really angry when I found out that they proceeded to continue on what they planned. So I printed out the labour law gave it to them and let loose a barrage. In fact I think I may have called them stupid and arrogant for not following my advice and not using their heads.

Any way, today I was in no mood to be nice so I gave several broadsides to their plan. So far I have been very patient even when they made mistakes giving them the opportunity to correct it. Today I got tired.

I issued several statements making it clear what the (my) requirements were. I blasted them for not having a proper approved organisation. I fired on the fact that they let the cooling water condition go bad despite indications showing them the fact. I sarcastically remarked that they should take care of their subordinates better as one guy had been absent for three days without anyone even knowing. And I gave a scathing remark on how some people were saying they deserved a good rating when the company made more loss in the last year than the previous.

I told them that they think they are so good and were doing well when the reality is that the company was doing badly. They should feel ashamed for even asking..nay thinking that they deserved a good rating.

Felt really good..had a good laugh with the SS. Today they listened.

So the lesson here is:

Sometimes you just need to get tough and throw your weight around. If people percieve you as weak they will not respect you.

Regards

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yang

I guess the key thing is not to do it in a temper. Ie cold anger works better, you tend to be more lucid, to the point, and people listen to you more attentively. The times when I completely flew off the handle were complete disasters, the times I showed I was angry yet still in control worked wonders. All the other times when I tried to be a bit 'tak apa' were mostly lessons in what not to do.

Control is the key.

Anonymous said...

where are my comments?

mynn said...

heeeeeeeeeeeeeey

your first real entry, well done O-k! really happy for your new blog. I'm still going to link to you from my blog though O-K, okay? why -- my parents dont read my blog either, and although i put afar & nurul's picture, they dont know about the blog. unlike KKL my blog are not parents friendly (risque content) ;)

um, i was struck but what you said:
---
Sometimes you just need to get tough and throw your weight around. If people percieve you as weak they will not respect you
---

in my line of work, some doctors are aloof to their juniors/nursing staff. some consultants are more strict/try to exert more control than others.

but as a junior i feel more ikhlas doing jobs to consultants/seniors i see as friends. otherwise i see the job as a chore (read: a bother).

to me: exerting control more subtly is the key.

dith said...

OK-

So VIP mana do you plan to invite for the opening ceremony of this 'long-awaited' blog huh? hehe

Relax la brudder! Jgn tension sgt masa kerje tu, nanti dapat piles, haha

Orangkilang said...

hehe bukan piles DITH kan dia dah dapat hypertension last year (among one of the reasons why I loathe his company)

Mama Pongkey said...

er the above comment was mine.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! inkjet catridges Newsprintcheapest adipex endermologie cellulite dodge intrepid parts land rover